Thursday, February 16, 2012

Who cares??? :P


I like writing my blogs. It kinda helps me sew my piecemeal life together when some people from my different "lives" (from different places and phases of life) read along and be a part of my lives that way. :) And maybe more intentionally, more recently, hoping that through little glimpses into the different places that I am a part of, to sew our piecemeal world a little closer together. 

But.... it’s a bit harder to blog from home than when I’m away. When I'm in Guatemala, I was ~exhausted~ at the end of a 14 hour day. But for the staff... that's just a normal day. Working to serve communities in desperate need doesn't have fences around 9-5. They get to the office and are knocking on my door (I was staying in a room on the compound) at about 7am, as I've just rolled out of bed/shower, still throwing on some clothes while brushing my teeth and combing through wet hair, and shaking off sleepies, journal untouched on my bedside from too-generous-of-use of my snooze button)... and their day continues joyfully and fervently at the office as we come back after a long day with the communities, tapping away at computers and paperwork  til at least 7 or so at night. Some of the staff said sometimes they leave at 5am to get to more distant communities, and stay a few days, before coming back. Whatever the case, the day ends when they have done everything possible to help as many people as they possibly can... and begins anew when they wake up the next morning. We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. -Winston Churchill. I like Guatemala and I really, really liked our staff in Guatemala. They make their life in their work, in every good sense. It's impossible not to be inspired and encouraged to such joyful devotion and do likewise. Hence the couple of late-night posts from Quiche, Guatemala. :)

Thennnn.... I get home. And partly because I’m awash in the hit-the-ground-running busy-ness of schedules and responsibilities back home... along with good things like friends, family, ministry, snow, running and.. well, not-so-good things like Facebook and general internet time-wasting. But the other part, because I find myself so easily distracted, I realize how absorbed everyone around me is in our abundantly busy worlds, and how, just.. naturally.... the hurts and needs of families and communities (and the joys – rather than the bother – of being a part of redeeming it) oceans and continents away become a bit just that – distant.

And all the more then, I realize, “who reads my blog anyways??!” 

But with privilege to be a part of a world bigger than the one I call "home" in Vancouver... comes calling and responsibility. And I will be faithful to that. :)   

Starting, but not ending, with sharing a few more stories on my blog. :)

Hasta pronto (til soon!) :)

Rainbow

 

3 comments:

  1. i do =) i can't imagine living in a world where life isn't categorized to work and leisure. how to have a life of service and giving underlying all that. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, too! Sometimes twice! A fun little tool is Google Analytics - it can tell you precisely how many folks are reading your every word and from where they're accessing your site. It's a bit more complex than the new blogger features.

    ReplyDelete